As an integral part of the convention, our in-house film festival takes center stage, dedicated to showcasing an array of genre short films from both local and international filmmakers. The Cyprus Comic Con Film Festival is a celebration of creativity, uniting filmmakers and animators with a diverse audience who share a passion for the art of storytelling on screen.
Get ready for a curated selection of screenings that span the realm of film genres within popular culture. Whether you’re a die-hard film fanatic or just dipping your toes into the cinematic universe, there’s something here for everyone. Moreover, within the Film Festival hall, prepare for an engaging lineup of panels and interviews featuring Special Guests, filmmakers, and other creative minds.
This year’s Film Festival promises an enriched experience, with even more screenings to explore compared to previous years with exclusive screenings of the 48 Hour Film Challenge, tailored for our local filmmakers!
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s in store:
- Anime Episodes: Immerse yourself in captivating animated narratives.
- Student Film Screenings: Discover the promising talents of emerging filmmakers.
- Short Film and Animated Film Screenings: Dive into bite-sized stories that pack a punch.
- Feature Film: Lose yourself in full-length cinematic journeys.
- Guest Panels: Engage with insightful discussions and panels featuring special guests.
48 Hour Film Challenge
Don’t miss out on the screening of the 48 Hour Film Challenge entries! Filmmakers will be put to the ultimate test, given a mere 48 hours to conceptualize, create, and produce a complete film. Witness their creativity which flourishes under pressure as they rise to the challenge.
Join us at the Cyprus Comic Con Film Fest and be part of the celebration of storytelling, imagination, and the magic of the silver screen.
Participate in the 48 Hour Film Challenge
Experience the rush of rapid filmmaking as your team takes on the 48 Hour Film Challenge. Over the span of a single weekend, participants will craft a short film from scratch. From scripting to shooting, editing, and sound design—every element must be meticulously executed within the confines of a 48-hour timeframe. The most outstanding entries will not only earn acclaim but also valuable rewards. The top 3 films will secure cash prizes while the top 10 submissions, will be granted the opportunity to showcase their film during a dedicated screening at the CCC Film Festival on Saturday.
Showcase Your Work at the Con!
We’re opening our doors to filmmakers worldwide, welcoming submissions that span the globe. While our reach extends internationally, our commitment to our local community is unwavering. Based in Cyprus, we provide a platform for local cinematic talents to shine brightly.
No matter where you’re from, your short film or animation has a place on our stage. Our aim is to connect your work with our eager attendees, fostering a dynamic exchange of storytelling and creativity.
48 Hour Film Challenge
All creativity (writing, shooting, editing) must occur within a 48 hour window.
At the Genre Draw, participating teams will receive designated elements that are required to be included in their films. These elements encompass Genre, Prop, and/or Line of Dialogue.
The top 3 films will receive a cash prize and the top 10 will be shown during the CCC Film Festival on Saturday!
Participation Fee: €40 per team (Includes 1 free Weekend Ticket)
(€5 discount for DGCY members and Students – contact us at email@example.com)
Friday 22nd of September at 18:30
Friday 22nd of September at 20:30
Sunday 24nd of September at 20:30
+ An Ancoria Bank account with €150 balance
+ An Ancoria Bank account with €100 balance
+ An Ancoria Bank account with €50 balance
CCC Film Festival Screening of their submission
- Purchase your entry for the competition below (Includes 1 free Weekend Ticket)
- A member of the competing team must attend the genre pulling to check in their team on the 22nd of September at 6:30pm at the Directors Guild of Cyprus at Othellou 27, Nicosia 1016, Cyprus
- Submissions must be uploaded by each team by Sunday, September 24th at 9:00 p.m. local time via the 48 hour film section on our FilmFreeway Page
I. Times and Dates
- The CCC 48 Hour Film Challenge Competition (“Competition”) is open to teams of anyone interested in partaking.
- The CCC 48 Hour Film Challenge Competition takes place September 22 – 24 starting on Friday, September 22nd at 8:30pm for time and concluding on Sunday, September 24th at 8:30pm. This is the “Cyprus Comic Con 48 Film ChallengeTime Period.” .
- Only works that meet the deadline will be eligible to win the competition.
- Teams providing late submissions are advised to email firstname.lastname@example.org with an explanation of reasons for the late submission.
II. Creative Work
ALL CREATIVE WORK MUST BE DONE WITHIN THE “Cyprus Comic Con 48 Film ChallengeTime Period”. “Creative work” is defined as:
- Writing the script
- Costume/Set Design
- Sound Design
- Exporting media in a form for submission
III. Pre-Competition Work
The only work to begin prior to the “Cyprus Comic Con 48 Film Challenge Time Period” is:
- Organizing Crew
- Organizing Cast
- Securing Equipment
- Scouting/Securing Locations
IV. Sources of Footage
- All footage must be shot within the “Cyprus Comic Con 48 Film Challenge Time Period.”
- No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
- Animation and special effects are permitted.
- NOTE: Stock footage is permissible as part of a post-production effect or on a background monitor, i.e., a television, as long as the team has rights to the stock footage and the stock footage is placed over or under footage that is shot within the Challenge Time Period. Allowable stock footage includes bullets, fires, explosions, chromakeyed backgrounds, etc. Stock footage that plays a significant role in the story is not allowed.
- Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has the rights to them. The photos do not need to have been created during the Challenge Time Period.
A member of the competing team must attend the lot pulling at the 22nd of September at 6:30pm to check in their team at the Directors Guild of Cyprus at Οθέλλου 27, Nicosia 1016, Cyprus
VII. Content Requirements
- Each participating group will be assigned required elements that must appear in its film, such as a Genre, a Character, a Prop and/or a Line of Dialogue.
- The required Character and Prop must be seen on-screen.
- The required Line of Dialogue must be used verbatim. It may be spoken, sung and/or written. It may be in any language but will need to be translated and/or subtitled to clearly demonstrate its use.
- In order for a film to qualify for the competition, each team’s film must be in the genre assigned to it and must contain all required elements within the official time limit and prior to the credits. The Film 48 organizers have sole discretion to determine if an entry meets all the eligibility requirements.
VII. Team Size
- Each team must have a minimum of 1 member to be eligible to compete in the CCC 48 Hour Film Challenge Competition. A maximum of ten members will also be enforced. All members must be listed on the competition registration form before the start of the competition.
VIII. Camera Use
- Any type of video, animation or film camera may be used. There is no limit to the number of cameras.
- Participating groups may work with a composer and/or musicians to write and record original music for the films. It is permissible for a participating group to use pre-recorded music, assuming they have copyright clearance to include it. In the absence of a composer, we recommend using free public domain music. Use of original music will be taken into account during judging.
X. Total Running Time
- The finished film must be a minimum of two (2) minutes in duration, and within a maximum of seven (7) minutes in duration, not including end credits. (In other words, the official running time begins after the required slates and ends prior to the end credits.
XI. Submission Requirements
- Submissions must be uploaded by each team to the submission site by Sunday, September 24th at 9:00 p.m. local time either via the 48 hour film section in our Film Freeway Section: https://filmfreeway.com/CyprusComicConFilmFest or if technical problems arise, through https://wetransfer.com/ transfer of the mp4 to email@example.com.
- If your film is very dark, it may be difficult to see during the screening.
- All films received on the evening of the deadline will be screened, presuming they do not violate any of the submission criteria. However, only those films submitted prior to or at the deadline will be eligible for winning in the Competition.
XII. Original Content
- To be eligible for the competition, Entries must be the original work of those persons comprising the Entrant; must not infringe third-parties’ rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not contain obscene, pornographic or indecent material); must not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; must not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and must not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned one or more members of the participating group Entrant). Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by CCC 48 Hour Film Challenge organizers in their sole discretion, will be disqualified. CCC 48 Hour Film Challenge reserves the right to make the final determination as to which entries are eligible.
Showcase Your Short Film
Submissions from all over the world are accepted and celebrated. Being based in Cyprus, we offer a platform for local filmmakers to participate and show off their film-making talents as well. If you have a film or animation project that you believe would resonate with our attendees, we’re here to help you share it with the world. Submit your film through Film Freeway, deadline September 20, 2023. Local entries are free!
We offer 2 categories:
- International Short Films: Genre-related films (Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comic Book, Action, Animation, Parody, Fan-Film etc) with a duration of up to 25 minutes maximum.
- Local Short Films: Made by residents and citizens of Cyprus only. Genre-related films (Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comic Book, Action, Animation, Parody, Fan-Film etc) with a duration of up to 25 minutes maximum.
To qualify for submission as a “short film”:
- The duration must be longer than 1 minute and less than 25 minutes
- The film must have at least one (or a combination) of the following themes:
- science fiction
- comic book
- Works in progress are not accepted