The EuroCosplay Championship is comprised of a series of qualifier cosplay competitions held in conventions all over Europe. The winner of each qualifier receives the honour of representing their country in the EuroCosplay Final which is held annually at the MCM London Comic Con in October.
The winner of the Cypriot Qualifier will receive a return plane ticket to London, accommodation for 2 nights and a VIP 3-day pass to the October 2018 MCM London Comic Con among other big prizes.
Due to CCC not taking place this year, the EuroCosplay 2018 Qualifier will be ran ONLINE. This means:
- The contestants will submit references and detailed photos of their costume which will be assessed online. The winner will be selected based on theses images as well as the information provided in their submission form.
- The contestants will not stand in front of a judging panel.
- The contestants will not perform on stage.
Costumes which have participated in past CCC Cosplay contests are allowed with the exception of having won a past EuroCosplay Qualifier.
How do I qualify?
In order to be eligible for representing Cyprus in the EuroCosplay Final, you need to:
- Be 18 years old or over by the start of MCM Expo (26/10/2018)
- Be of Cypriot nationality with relevant documents OR have lived in Cyprus for 3 years or more
- Have a fully handmade costume which was made by yourself with minor help from others
- Be available to travel to the UK from the 26th until the 28th of October 2018 with valid travel documents
- Comply to all of the rules in the official EuroCosplay rulebook (click to view)
Registration Deadline: Sunday August 12th
- Once a cosplayer registers using the form, they will receive a confirmation email indicating that we have received their registration.
- The next step is to upload/email us detailed photos of their costume both in its final form and in progress, worn by the cosplayer, closeups, full body shots and poses. This guide will help with which photos the judges would like to see.
All text and photos must be provided before the end of the above deadline.
The winner will be selected online based on the information submitted via the registration form and the photos sent to us.
The Judges will be Helen and Joseph from the cosplay team (if you’ve competed before, you probably know us!) and our special guest judge will be the very talented Radoslav from Bulgaria. Rado has represented Bulgaria in EuroCosplay for two years in a row and was a definite fan favourite! Visit Rado’s Facebook Page!
Radoslav, or as his friends call him, Rado, is a 27 year old dental technician by profession but an artist by heart. Rado likes to use painting, crafting, designing, sewing and acting in order to bring more colour into the boring everyday life. He takes inspiration from nature and loves reading books. His favourite titles include: “The Lord of the Rings”, “A Song of Ice and Fire”, “Harry Potter” and many more fantasy novels. The magic and freedom to be whoever or whatever one wants, is the main reason that drew him to cosplay. The only downside, he admits, is having so many ideas yet so little time to execute them! Rado has been cosplaying for 4 years, with his cosplay contest debut taking place in 2015, where he was awarded with “Best Look Alike” and he continued to compete every year after that. He had the honour of representing Bulgaria at EuroCosplay 2016 and 2017.
Construction – 50%
The judges will pay close attention to:
- the quality, stitching and finish of fabric
- the choice of structural materials such as foam, worbla, wood or cardboard and the way they were treated
- the detail put into crafting the decorations and trimmings
- the overall techniques used and the originality of ideas applied in the costume
- the quality of the wigs, wig-styling, props, customised shoes and makeup
Accuracy – 50%
The judges will be checking how faithful your costume, hair, make-up and props are to the character you’re cosplaying as. Important things to look for are dimensions, material and textures, colours and detailing.
Unfortunately, due to the judging being online, performance will not be a criterion this year.
- Representation of Cyprus in the EuroCosplay Championship Final
- A return plane ticket to London, accommodation for 2 nights and a VIP 3-day pass to the October 2018 MCM London Comic Con
- A photoshoot of the winner in their costume
The winners will be announced online, on our website and social media at the end of August.
More about EuroCosplay
The EuroCosplay Final is one of the biggest international cosplay contests with over 25 countries participating. The judging panel of the London Final is always comprised of big names from the international cosplay scene flown in from America or Asia. The main focus of the judges is craftsmanship and all participating cosplayers are scored according to their accuracy 40%, costume construction 40% and performance 20%.
All participants are first inspected by the judges in a private session before the stage show, then they are given a couple of minutes on stage to perform a quick skit which best shows off their costume such as a dance or performance (e.g. sword swinging and posing), a song or even a short theatrical performance.
Visit the EuroCosplay Facebook Page, Twitter or Website.
You must be logged in to post a comment.